Once upon a time in Childhood
A recollection, a whole transformation from “hamara bajaj” to “definitely male” – Bajaj Pulsar.
For those who are now in late teens and early twenty's, this must be true for most of us:
- Unlike our younger siblings, we know how to read and write our mother tongue.
- The way to choose who played first was In-pin Safety pin.
- We would run to the terrace as soon as we hear a helicopter/aeroplane engine chugging.
- Veerappan - We know who he is and what he is.
- We know what the Asian sky shop is.
- If Pickles were not home-made they were 'PRIYA Pickles'.
- The school principal was someone to be afraid of.
- Like talking to a girl, but we feared the last bench shouts.
- William Shakespeare ruled the English text books.
- School bus was the longest way to reach the house.
- History was always a mystery.
- We knew how to make boats and airplanes with paper.
- We started experimenting our signature, we hoped to use when we grew up.
- We loved and feared the view atop the giant wheel.
- The pink candy at exhibitions and fairs was the tastiest thing on earth.
- A 5 story building could easily be the tallest edifice in our town.
- April Fool was done by showing a lizard which wasnt there.
- Cricket matches were held in sharjah also.
- It was mandatory to be awake until midnight for newyear.
- Sales of Babool gum and Boomer were due to the free tattoos that came along.
- We played WWF and Bigfun cricket cards atleast once.
- People came from nowhere and pulled our cheeks and asked if we remembered them.
- The only way to drive away mosquitoes was “good-night” mats.
- Titanic/Jurassic Park/Spider Man was the first English movie we saw.
- Popcorns in theatres and éclairs in groceries were mandatory.
- We definitely don’t know what a smiley means :P
- Shahrukh khan movies were watched atleast twice.
- If Amrish Puri is in a movie then he is the villain.
- Tom and jerry Rocked. We imagined ourselves as popeye eating spinach and saving Olive Oil from Bluto.
- We wished we had Alladin's genie and magic carpet kaleen.
- Mowgli and his jungle was mandatory every sundays.
- Unlike daily sops we had to wait one whole week to watch our favourite program.
- Chitranjali is one program on DoorDarshan we didn’t miss.
- A Sunday evening movie on DoorDarshan, gets our entire Family together.
- We created a Yahoo Id to use the chat rooms.
- If he has a Mobile Phone, he is rich.
- Parents restricted us from Watching TV, since that gets our grades down.
- Teacher was the only Guru unlike wiki/google/Internet.
Well ... this goes on .... :)
Inspired from a blog written by my senior Zahid.